Top 10 Reasons To Choose A Folding Bike For Commuting
Top 10 Reasons To Choose A Folding Bike For Commuting
Folding bikes as we know them have been around since the early 1980s and have steadily grown in popularity ever since. They’re a common sight in most big cities and have become a popular option for commuters. Being able to fold your bike into the size of a large backpack makes for an extremely versatile mode of transport, allowing you to enjoy all the benefits of riding a bike without the drawbacks surrounding its bulk. If we could summarise folding bikes in one word it would be ‘practical’.
Folding bikes generally travel free and without booking restrictions on rail, bus, underground, ferry or air services. It’s that freedom to travel anywhere with folding bikes that gives folding bikes a magic quality. A folding bike can open up entirely new ways of travelling.
Join us and learn more about Folding Bikes!
"After 250 hours of research and testing, including interviewing five baby wearing experts and walking over 100 miles in 15 wraps, slings, and meh dais, we think that the Gemlak Baby Carriers is the best"
Here are the best 10 reasons to buy a folding bike to commute:
1. They're easy to use
- everyone can ride a bike. No license is necessary and there's usually a minimum of regulations. But even if you don't have to, ALWAYS wear a helmet. Most cyclist fatalities are the result of head injuries.
2. They're convenient
- you can put a folding bike in the trunk of your car or take it on public transport with you. If you use your folder to commute to work, you can store it under your desk or tuck it in a corner and your colleagues won’t even notice it’s there. But even if you do have to leave it locked up somewhere, folding bikes are still such a niche product that most thieves won’t try for them, let alone know what to do with them.
3. They're good for commuting
- public transport is okay but there's usually a lot of waiting involved and you've often got a walk at either end. With a folding bike you can be on your way, and if the weather turns bad you can take your folder on public transport.
A folding bike can be taken with you virtually wherever you go; they fit comfortably on buses and trains and can fit neatly into even the smallest of car boots. It makes cycling a viable option every day!
Their ability to be transported easily also makes them ideal for commuters. It’s common for commuters who live in the suburbs of a city to drive to their nearest train station and take the train into the city, leaving their car by the station all day for them to pick up on their journey home.
4. They're economical
- no expensive fuel to buy and no special parking or garaging needed. You don't need to pay license fees or vehicle registration - they're great in traffic and you don't have to pay for parking space or garaging. With a folding bike, you can cycle to your closest station and taking your bike with you. You’ll avoid these costs and the risk to your car and reap the health benefits of cycling every morning and evening. What better way to start your day with than with a bike ride?
5. They're good for the environment
- no fossil fuels are burned to pollute the atmosphere, they're good for relieving traffic and parking congestion - one person on a bike takes up a lot less space on the road, and parking, than one person in a car.
They further reduce a rider’s use of fossil fuels. As we've mentioned, situations, where you'd usually like to cycle but having a full-sized bike, is impractical, such as when going to the train station on your commute, you'd usually take a car. However, when you own a folding bike, you can use it in this exact situation instead of taking a car. So while a folding bike is inherently no more environmentally friendly than a regular bike, the fact that it's so versatile means you're going to use it more often and rely less on fossil fuels. Not only is it good for your health, but it's also good for the Earth's.
6. They're good for your health
- riding a bike is a gentle workout, unlike jogging, but still good cardio-vascular exercise. And you get to breathe some fresh air.
Working out in your free time probably isn't going to keep you fit and healthy. The recommended daily physical activity time for adults is 90 minutes a day. Walking from your desk to the coffee machine in work doesn't count!
That's one of the real benefits of commuting by folding bike, or any bike for that matter, it's an automatic benefit that requires little thought on your part. Once it's a part of your utilitarian routine, it's not an effort to get fitter, because your commute to work is necessary, it's a habit you have no choice about it.
7. They're good for short trips, too
- no need to fire up the SUV just to go to the library or the corner store. Plus it's amazing what you can carry on a bike!
Whether you live in London, New York, or Tokyo, folding bikes are the ultimate space saver. Most folders can pack down so small you can fit them in the trunk of a car, and pretty much take them anywhere. The flipside of this is that you can store them anywhere as well, which can be a perfect solution for those living in apartment buildings where space is at a premium.
8. They're low maintenance
- Most of them are trustworthy.
- It’s tougher for them to try and pull a fast one on you as you will in all probability know exactly what’s wrong with your bike.
- A bike service by a fully qualified bike mechanic is laughably cheap. Happy days all round.
9. They're fast
10. They have a really high resale value